Name of the laboratory
- Immunology Unit
- Department of Biomedical Sciences
- Faculty of Medicine and Medical Sciences, University of Barcelona
- 08036 Barcelona, Spain
- 34 932 275 400 (ext.: 4010, 4011)
Members of the laboratory
- Head of the Unit
Pablo Engel firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Student
Joan Puñet-Ortiz email@example.com
- Ph.D. Student
- Ph.D. Student
Joan Boix firstname.lastname@example.org
Adriana Lázaro Domínguez email@example.com
The Immunology Unit at the University of Barcelona has focused it's studies on leukocyte cell-surface molecules. Monoclonal antibodies are essential tools for determining the expression and function of these molecules. Monoclonal antibodies produced in our Unit during the last 15 years have been used for research.
Dr. Engel is the President of HCDM (Human Cell Differentiation Molecules). He is the chair of the nomenclature and standardization committees for CD molecules and leukocytes of IUIS (International Union of Immunological Societies) and Secretary General of EFIS (European Federation of Immunological Societies).
Characterization of the expression and function of the SLAM (Signaling Lymphocyte-Activation Molecule) family members: Our team has produced several antibodies against the human and mouse cell-surface molecules of the SLAM family including CD84, CD150 (SLAM), CD229 (Ly9), CD244 (2B4), SLAMF6 and SLAMF7. These reagents have been essential in establishing the expression and various functions of this new family of immunoreceptors.
Production and characterization of antibodies against P-selectin and CD69 using KO-mice: We have generated a large panel of monoclonal antibodies against the adhesion molecule P-selectin and CD69. These antibodies have been generated using knock-out KO-mice. A unique characteristic of these antibodies is that they are able to recognize epitopes preserved across multiple species. These antibodies have been used by a large group of collaborators to study the function of P-selectin and CD69 in vitro and in vivo in different animal model of disease.
Other antibodies: Antibodies against other cell-surface molecules recently produced in our lab include TNF receptor 2, human Syndecan-2, mouse GITRL, rat CD38. and several CMV proteins.
Production of antibodies against other cell-surface molecules: We are currently engaged in the production of antibodies that identify new markers for the diagnosis and treatment leukaemia and lymphoma.
- monoclonal antibody production in mice
- monoclonal antibody production in hamsters
- antibody characterization
- multi-colour flow cytometry
- immunization with transfected cells
- Pérez-Carmona N, Martínez-Vicente P, Farré D, Gabaev I, Messerle M, Engel P, Angulo A. A prominent role of the human cytomegalovirus UL8 glycoprotein restraining pro-inflammatory cytokine production by myeloid cells at late times during infection. J Virol. 2018 Feb 21. pii: JVI.02229-17.
- Agod Z, Pazmandi K, Bencze D, Vereb G, Biro T, Szabo A, Rajnavolgyi E, Bacsi A, Engel P, Lanyi A. Signaling Lymphocyte Activation Molecule Family 5 Enhances Autophagy and Fine-Tunes Cytokine Response in Monocyte-Derived Dendritic Cells via Stabilization of Interferon Regulatory Factor 8. Front Immunol. 2018 26;9:62. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2018.00062. eCollection 2018.
- Cuenca M, Puñet-Ortiz J, Ruart M, Terhorst C, Engel P. Ly9 (SLAMF3) receptor differentially regulates iNKT cell development and activation in mice. Eur J Immunol. 2018;48:99-105.
- Cossarizza A, Chang HD, Radbruch A, et al. Guidelines for the use of flow cytometry and cell sorting in immunological studies. Eur J Immunol. 2017;47:1584-1797
- Consuegra-Fernández M, Martínez-Florensa M, Aranda F, de Salort J, Armiger-Borràs N, Lozano T, Casares N, Lasarte JJ, Engel P, Lozano F. Relevance of CD6-Mediated Interactions in the Regulation of Peripheral T-Cell Responses and Tolerance. Front Immunol. 2017 May 30;8:594. doi: 10.3389/fimmu.2017.00594. eCollection 2017
- Farré D, Martínez-Vicente P, Engel P, Angulo A. Immunoglobulin superfamily members encoded by viruses and their multiple roles in immune evasion. Eur J Immunol. 2017;47:780-796.
- Engel P. Cell-Associated Surface Molecules and B Cell Responses..In: Ratcliffe, M.J.H. (Editor in Chief), Encyclopedia of Immunobiology, Vol. 3, pp. 253–258. Oxford: Academic Press. ISBN-13: 978-0123742797. Elsevier, Ltd (2016)
- Farré D, Engel P, Angulo A. Novel role of 3’UTR-embedded Alu elements as facilitators of processed pseudogene genesis and host gene capture by viral genomes. PLoS One. 2016 11:e0169196.
- Wang N, Keszei M, Halibozek P, Yigit B, Engel P, Terhorst C. Slamf6 negatively regulates autoimmunity. Clin Immunol. 2016 173:19-26.
- Yigit B, Halibozeck PJ, Chen S-S, O’Keeffe MS, Arnason J, Avigan D, Gattei V, Chiorazzi N, Wang N, Engel P, Terhorst C. Anti- SLAMF6 in combination with ibrutinib abrogates in vivo expansion of the murine chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells. Oncotarget 2016 7:26346-60.
- G, Engel P, Maestre L, Anderson AP, Cordell JL, Cragg MS, Šerbec VC, Jones M, Lisnic VJ, Kremer L, Li D, Koch-Nolte F, Pascual N, Rodríguez-Barbosa JI, Torensma R, Turley H, Pulford K, Banham AH. The European Antibody Network’s practical guide to finding and validating suitable antibodies for research. MAbs MAbs. 2016 8:27-36.
- Cuenca M, Romero X, Sintes J, Terhorst C, Engel P. Antibody targeting of Ly9 (CD229) disrupts marginal zone and B1 B cell homeostasis and antibody responses. J. Immunol. 2016 196:726-37.
- van Driel B, Liao G, Engel P, Terhorst C. Responses to microbial challenges by SLAMF receptors Front. Immunol. 2016 7:4.