Vladka Čurin Šerbec
Name of the laboratory
- Center for the Production of Diagnostic Reagents and for Research
- Blood Trasfusion Centre of Slovenia
- Šlajmerjeva 6, SI-1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
- + 386 1 5438 100
Members of the laboratory
Vladka Čurin Šerbec email@example.com
- Research Personnel
Tanja Vranac firstname.lastname@example.org
Uroš Rajčević email@example.com
Maja Černilec firstname.lastname@example.org
- PhD Students
Anja Lukan email@example.com
Valerija Hladnik firstname.lastname@example.org
- Laboratory Engineers
Boštjan Smrekar email@example.com
Melita Gracar firstname.lastname@example.org
Marjana Šprohar email@example.com
Center for the Production of Diagnostic Reagents and for Research (CPDRR) was established a decade ago. One of its main activities was the production of diagnostic reagents for blood grouping under GMP, based on mouse monoclonal antibodies, which were developed, validated, registered (and later licensed) by CPDRR.
Besides production, CPDRR had strong collaborations with pharmaceutical industry in Slovenia and abroad (development of diagnostic tools, based on polyclonal antibodies for quality control, development of panels of monoclonal antibodies »à la carte«, know-how; nine projects and scientific elaborates for the industry so far).
All the time CPDRR has been involved in research activities in biomedical field in Slovenia and internationally with monoclonal antibodies as one of the main research lines (ten research projects and twelve PhDs were ran so far). We have our own animal facility (with permanent permission of appropriate veterinary authority), as well as recombinant antibody facilities.
We are also an important partner of the University of Ljubljana, teaching students about theoretical and practical aspects of monoclonal antibody production and their use in research, diagnostics and in therapy.
During last decade, a number of monoclonal antibodies were developed, validated, produced, licensed and patented by CPDRR. Besides monoclonal antibodies against antigens of the blood group system AB0, they are directed against cytokines (TNF, p55, p75, MIF), potential new tumor markers (billitranslocase) and prions. In the last case, a panel of mouse monoclonal antibodies were developed in order to: 1) prepare a new generation of diagnostic kit, which was proposed to the EU Commission; 2) study the pathogenesis of the disease; 3) C-terminally truncated form of prion protein was first described with the help of one of our monoclonal antibodies.
- mouse monoclonal antibody production
- polyclonal antibody production
- recombinant antibody production and expression in non-immune (stem) cells
- antibody characterisation (western blot, dot blot, ELISA, flow cytometry, immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry, variable-region DNA sequencing)
- monoclonal antibody purification (HPLC, including adaptation to serum-free media)
- monoclonal antibody fragmentation
- production under GLP
- ŠKRLJ, Nives, DREVENŠEK, Gorazd, HUDOKLIN, Samo, ROMIH, Rok, ČURIN-ŠERBEC, Vladka, DOLINAR, Marko. Recombinant single-chain antibody with the trojan peptide penetratin positioned in the linker region enables cargo transfer across the blood-brain barrier. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 2013 (169): 159-169. doi: 10.1007/s12010-012-9962-7.
- PODERGAJS, Neža, BREKKA, Narve, RADLWIMMER, Bernhard, HEROLD-MENDE, Christel, TALASILA, Krishna M., TIEMANN, Katja, RAJČEVIĆ, Uroš, LAH TURNŠEK, Tamara, BJERKVIG, Rolf, MILETIC, Hrvoje. Expansive growth of two glioblastoma stem-like cell lines is mediated by bFGF and not by EGF. In: Articles from 7th Conference of experimental and translational oncology, [April, 20-24, 2013, Portorož], (Radiology and Oncology, vol. 47, no. 4). Ljubljana: Association of Radiology and Oncology, 2013: 330-337. http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/raon.2013.47.issue-4/raon-2013-0063/raon-2013-0063.xml, doi: 10.2478/raon-2013-0063.
- DVORAKOVA, Eva, VRANAC, Tanja, JANOUSKOVA, Olga, ČERNILEC, Maja, KOREN, Simon, LUKAN, Anja, NOVÁKOVÁ, Jana, MATEJ, Radoslav, HOLADA, Karel, ČURIN-ŠERBEC, Vladka. Detection of the GPI-anchorless prion protein fragment PrP226* in human brain. BMC Neurology 2013 (13). http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2377/13/126, doi: 10.1186/1471-2377-13-126.
- PETERSEN, Kjell, RAJČEVIĆ, Uroš, RAHIM, Siti Aminah Abdul, JONASSEN, Inge, KALLAND, Karl-Henning, JIMENEZ, Connie R., BJERKVIG, Rolf, NICLOU, Simone P. Gene set based integrated data analysis reveals phenotypic differences in a brain cancer model. PloS one 2013 (8): 1-11. e-68288. http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0068288, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0068288.
- MONTANIČ, Sendi, TERDOSLAVICH, Michela, RAJČEVIĆ, Uroš, DE LEO, Luigina, BONIN, Serena, ČURIN-ŠERBEC, Vladka, PASSAMONTI, Sabina. Development and characterization of a novel mAb against bilitranslocase - a new biomarker of renal carcinoma. Radiology and Oncology 2013 (47): 128-137. doi: 10.2478/raon-2013-0026.
- CroatiaStipan JonjicUniversity of Rijeka
- DenmarkJakub Z. KaczmarekSanovo Biotech A/S
- FranceAndré PèlegrinInstitut de Recherche en Cancérologie de Montpellier, IRCM
- FranceArmand BensussanHôpital Saint Louis
- FrancePierre LafayeInstitut Pasteur
- GermanyFriedrich Koch-NolteUniversity Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf
- HungaryJohanna SymmonsEnglish & Scientific Consulting Kft. (SCICONS)
- HungaryPeter BaloghClinical Center, University of Pecs
- ItalyFabio MalavasiUniversity of Torino Medical School
- RussiaAlexander FilatovInstitute of Immunology
- RussiaAlexander TaraninInstitute of Molecular and Cellular Biology
- SloveniaVladka Čurin ŠerbecBlood Trasfusion Centre of Slovenia
- SpainGiovanna RoncadorCentro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncológicas
- SpainJosé I. Rodríguez BarbosaEdificio Nuevos Institutos de Investigación
- SpainLeonor KremerCentro Nacional de Biotecnología/CSIC
- SpainNúria PascualInstitute for Advanced Chemistry of Catalonia (IQAC-CSIC)
- SpainPablo EngelFaculty of Medicine and Medical Sciences, University of Barcelona
- United KingdomUniversity of OxfordLRF Haemato-oncology Group
- United KingdomVertebrate Antibodies Limited (VAL)
- United KingdomKing's College LondonSt. John's Institute of Dermatology